Can I request a pension credit from Spain?

Can I request a pension credit from Spain?

I’ve been living in Spain since 2005. I find myself down to my last €150 and I have a mortgage that I can’t pay.

I would prefer not to return to the UK, but may have to if I cannot get money for food.

I am 62 years old, married with no income. Am I eligible for pension credit or other financial support? GR, Spain

This is Money’s Simon Moon responds: The Pension Credit is intended to give people aged 60 or over a minimum income by topping up their weekly income to £130 if they are single or £198.45 if they have a partner.

I’m afraid you can’t apply for this state benefit from another country.

Department for Work and Pensions guidelines on this state: “If you are going abroad permanently, you cannot get a pension credit. If your stay abroad is temporary and you would still be entitled to pension credit if you had stayed in Britain, you can continue to receive pension credit for the first four weeks of your stay abroad.

“You can only do this if you are likely to be abroad for less than a year.”

It adds: ‘If you go abroad for medical treatment paid for by the NHS, you can continue to receive pension credit for the duration of your treatment.

There are certain UK state benefits that can be claimed by Brits living abroad and one that might help is the winter fuel payment. However, to qualify you must have been entitled to the payment when you lived in the UK.

Although you were too young when you left the UK, is it possible your partner was qualified at the time?

In December 2007, the European Court of Justice ruled that certain UK disability benefits should be paid to people living abroad. Details can be found on the government’s public services website

>> More information : Going abroad and benefiting from your allowances

Some links in this article may be affiliate links. If you click on it, we may earn a small commission. This helps us fund This Is Money and keep it free to use. We do not write articles to promote products. We do not allow any business relationship to affect our editorial independence.