Pension credit and assistance to disabled people

If a person is disabled and applies for a pension credit, they may be entitled to additional funds and may need to know who to contact.

Disability benefits

If a person has a disability, they may be eligible for assistance through one of the 4 main benefits for people with disabilities:

  • Disabled allowance
  • Personal independence payment
  • Attendance allowance
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

Disabled allowance (DLA)

DLA is replaced by the Personal Independence Payment (SEED) for people with disabilities.

Someone can only do a new one DLA claim if they are under 16.

An adult could have DLA if they were under 65 at the time of their application.

There are 2 components to DLA:

  • the care component
  • the mobility component

The care component of DLA is paid at 3 different weekly rates, depending on how the disability affects a person:

  • higher rate £ 89.60
  • average rate £ 60.00
  • lowest rate £ 23.70

The mobility component of DLA is paid at 2 different weekly rates:

  • higher rate £ 62.55
  • lower rate £ 23.70

These can be paid at different rates depending on a person’s level of need and can continue to be paid after the age of 65 if the eligibility requirements continue to be met.

DLA is tax exempt. It is not means tested and obtaining it will not reduce the right to pension credit.

Learn more about DLA for adults.

Personal independence payment (SEED)

SEED is intended for people aged 16 or over who have not reached retirement age.

SEED is usually paid every 4 weeks and can be paid whether you are at work or not. It is made up of 2 components (parts). Whether you get one or both depends on how your condition affects you.

Weekly rate for the daily life component:

  • standard – £ 60.00
  • upgraded – £ 89.60

Weekly rate for mobility component:

  • standard – £ 23.70
  • improved – £ 62.55

SEED is tax exempt and is not treated as income when establishing the pension credit.

SEED was introduced for new claims in parts of northern England from April 8, 2013 and across the country from June 2013. DLA claimants who were between the ages of 16 and 64 on April 8, 2013, or who reach the age of 16 after that date, are gradually being invited to claim SEED. If you already receive DLA, you can find more via the ‘DLA ends’ flyer.

Read on SEED.

Attendance allowance

If someone is of retirement age or over and does not get DLA Where SEED, they may be eligible for the Attendance Allowance if they have personal care needs or require supervision to stay safe. There is no mobility element in the assistance allowance.

The care allowance is paid at 2 different weekly rates, depending on how the disability affects the person:

  • higher rate £ 89.60
  • lower rate £ 60.00

Child care allowance is tax exempt. It is not means tested and obtaining it will not reduce the right to pension credit.

Learn more about attendance allowance.

Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)

AFIP provides financial support to military personnel and seriously injured veterans as a result of service to cover additional costs they may have as a result of their injury. People receiving a guaranteed income payment of 50% or more under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme will be eligible.

Eligible persons will receive a flat rate equivalent to the increased rates of the two components (mobility and daily life) of SEED.

the AFIP the weekly rate is £ 152.15.

AFIP is not treated as income when establishing the pension credit.

Learn more about AFIP.

If someone receives the care allowance or the care component at the average rate or the higher of DLA, SEED Where AFIP, they may be entitled to an additional pension credit of £ 67.30.

If someone is in receipt of a care allowance, they may be entitled to an additional pension credit of £ 37.70. They can also get this additional pension credit if they are entitled to care allowance but do not receive it, or they receive it at a lower amount than normal, because they are receiving an amount. higher of another income maintenance benefit such as state pension (this is called the underlying entitlement).

Read about child care allowance.

Retirement homes and payment for care

People who have reached the minimum pension credit age while permanently living in nursing homes may be eligible for the pension credit.

People should contact their local council if they:

  • wish to enter a nursing home, and
  • need financial support

The local council should assess their need for care and should conduct a means test. Where appropriate, they should be encouraged to claim all the benefits to which they are entitled, including the pension credit.

Go to the hospital

If a person receives the additional severe disability amount as part of their pension credit, this will normally stop if they spend more than 28 days in the hospital. It is the same as when their child care allowance, DLA, Where SEED stop.

The additional caregiver amount may also stop, but if not, their pension credit will continue to operate for the duration of their hospitalization.

Housing allowance

Housing allowance can help pay rent for people with low income or who are applying for allowances. He can help with all or part of the rent. There is no set amount of housing allowance and what someone gets depends on whether a person is renting to a private individual or to a municipality. A person must have reached retirement age to benefit from it. Find out more about housing allowance.

Caregivers United Kingdom

National charitable association serving caregivers. Offers a wide range of information on caregiver rights and sources of help and contact details for local caregiver support groups.

Visit the Carers UK website.

Telephone: 0808 808 7777
Find out about call charges

Advice to citizens

National network of free advice centers. Depending on the resources available, services may be offered to verify and help complete the forms.

Visit the Advice to Citizens website.

Phone: 020 7833 2181 (for local contact details only – no advice over the phone)
Find out about call charges

The Pensions Service

For more details on how to claim your state pension.

Telephone: 0800 731 7898
Text phone: 0800 731 7339
Find out about call charges

Find out more about how to contact the Pension Service


Text phone numbers are for people who cannot speak or hear clearly. If people don’t have a text phone, they can check to see if their citizens’ council or local library has one. Textphones do not receive text messages from cellphones.