Pension credit: Report a change in circumstances

You must report changes to your personal and financial situation as well as that of your partner.

Your request may be stopped or reduced if you do not immediately report a change. Some changes will increase the amount of pension credit you could get.

Changes in your personal situation

A change in personal circumstances may include:

  • move to a new address
  • start or stop living with a partner
  • the death of a partner who is named on your request
  • start or stop work
  • go to hospital or nursing home
  • people entering or leaving your home
  • change name
  • change bank account
  • changes to your postcard account
  • leave England, Scotland and Wales for any period (for example, going on vacation)
  • you start or stop caring for a child or young person under the age of 20
  • changes to your immigration status, if you are not a UK citizen

Changes to your financial situation

You must also report if your income or expenses change. This may include changes to:

  • housing costs, for example land rent or charges
  • the benefits available to everyone living in your home – including obtaining a new benefit or stopping a benefit
  • occupational or personal retirement – including if you start to receive a new pension or withdraw capital from your pension fund
  • other income, for example foreign pensions or labor tax credits
  • savings, investments or property

Call the Pension Credit helpline if you are unsure whether to report a change.

You could be sued or fined if you give the wrong information or fail to report a change in your situation.

How to report a change

You can also report by mail. The address can be found on the letters you receive regarding your pension credit.

Living with a partner who has not reached retirement age

You will stop receiving the pension credit if you start living with a partner who has not reached retirement age. You can start getting it again when your partner reaches state retirement age.

If you lived with a partner who did not reach retirement age before May 15, 2019 and you received a retirement credit, you will continue to receive it until you cease to be eligible. . If this happens, you will usually not be able to get a pension credit until you and your partner both qualify.

If you can’t get the pension credit, you might qualify for universal credit instead, but you and your partner can’t get both at the same time. If either of you starts receiving universal credit, you will cease to be eligible for pension credit.

If you have a taxable income period (AIP)

A AIP is a period during which you do not have to report changes to your pensions, savings or investments.

If you have an AIP, you must still report any other changes to your personal situation.

Your pension credit award letter will tell you if you have a AIP. You can have one if you are 75 years of age or over and you started benefiting from the Pension Credit before April 6, 2016.

Your AIP will end if your household situation changes, for example if you move into a care home or if you become a member of a couple.

You will receive a letter saying that your AIP has finished. From that moment on, you must report any changes in your situation, including changes to your pensions, savings or investments.

Call the Pensions Service Hotline if you are unsure whether to report a change.

If you’ve been overpaid

You may need to refund the money if you:

  • did not report a change right away
  • gave wrong information
  • were overpaid in error

Find out how to pay back the money you owe because of a benefit overpayment.